Android Versions and Features
Android is an open-source modified by Linux Kernel mobile operating system designed for mobile devices such as tablets, mobiles, TVs, Watch, And Auto Vehicle Systems. Android commercially sponsored by Google in 2007.
Android operating system development was started in 2003 by Android.Inc. After some year, Android.Inc purchased by Google in 2005.
The first commercial version of Android 1.0 was released in September 2008, developed by Google and Open Handset Alliance(OHA), and it is available for the HTC Dream smartphone.
The latest version of Android, Android 11, announced by Google on February 19, 2020, support the Google Pixel Smartphone. In this Android version, Google adds Multiple futures like Android Tash Can, Bubble Notification, Improvements of Voice Assistant, and A/B partition with seamless updates.
Android 11 new most significant enhancement is to support foldable smartphones, including angle sensors, 5G networks, Project Mainline, and High-Efficiency Image file format.
Following are Android version History list developed by Google:
- Android 1.0 (No Offical Code Name) Released on (September 23, 2008)
- Android 1.1 No Offical Code-name (February 9, 2009)
- Android 1.5 Cupcake (April 27, 2009)
- Android 1.6 Donut (September 15, 2009)
- Android 2.0 - 2.1 Eclair (October 26, 2009)
- Android 2.2 – 2.2.3 Froyo (May 20, 2010)
- Android 2.3 – 2.3.7 Gingerbread (December 6, 2010)
- Android 3.0 – 3.2.6 Honeycomb (February 22, 2011)
- Android 4.0 – 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (October 18, 2011)
- Android 4.1 – 4.3.1 Jelly Bean (July 9, 2012)
- Android 4.4 – 4.4.4 Lollipop (November 12, 2014)
- Android 6.0 – 6.0.1 Marshmallow (October 5, 2015)
- Android 7.0 – 7.1.2 Nougat (August 22, 2016)
- Android 8.0 – 8.1 Oreo (August 21, 2017)
- Android 9 Pie (August 6, 2018)
- Android 10 10 (September 3, 2019)
- Android 11 11 (February 19, 2020)
Official Website : https://www.android.com/intl/en_in/
Android v1.0 Available for HTC Dream.
Release Date : September 23, 2008
Overall Features List:
- Android Market to download and updates the Market application.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.
- Multiple web pages show as on screen.
- Camera Support to change the camera's resolution, white balance, quality, etc.
- Access to Email services, supporting servers, POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP.
- Gmail application with Synchronization.
- Google Contacts with its Application.
- Google Calendar application.
- Google Maps with Satellite images and Street View map for vehicle driving directions using GPS.
- Google Synchronization of Gmail, People, and Calendar.
- Google Talk, Instant messaging, Text messaging, and MMS.
- Other applications: YouTube video player, Clock, Gallery, Media Player, and Settings.
Android v1.1 No official code-name.
Release Date: February 9, 2009
Android 1.1 known as "Petit Four" but not officially used. The update in Android API and resolve bugs with the following number of features:
- Details and reviews available for user searches on Maps.
- Support added for a marquee in program capability to store attachments.
- Quicker in-call display timeout by default when using the speakerphone, in addition to the capacity to show/hide the dial-pad.
Android v1.5 Cupcake
Release Date: April 27, 2009
This update based on Linux Kernel, and added number of features and UI attachments:
Support to get custom words with a user dictionary along with text forecast for virtual keyboards.
- Support for Widgets -- miniature application viewpoints that can be embedded in other programs (including the Home screen) and receive periodic updates.
- Video recording and playback.
- Auto-pairing option and stereo support for Bluetooth.
- Particular date/time postage shown for events in the call log, and also one-touch accessibility to a contact card.
- Animation on-screen transitions.
- Auto-rotation option.
- Capability to upload photos on Picasa and videos over YouTube.
- Ability to check phone history.
Android v2.0 Eclair
Release Date : October 26, 2009
- Extended Account sync permits users to add numerous accounts to the phone for Synchronization of an email and contacts.
- Microsoft Exchange support, with inbox, to browse an email from multiple accounts on a single page.
- Support Bluetooth 2.1.
- Capacity to tap a Contacts photograph and select to call, SMS, or email the individual.
- Capacity to look through completely spared SMS and MMS messages, with the additional capacity to erase the old most messages in a discussion, consequently erased when a limit is reached.
- Various new camera highlights, including streak support, computerized zoom, scene mode, white parity, shading impact, and large scale centre.
- Typing speed improves on a virtual console, with a more word reference that gains from word utilization and incorporates contact names as recommendations.
- Support for double-tap zoom and HTML5.
- Improved equipment speed and patched up UI.
- More screen sizes and resolutions support.
- Improved Google Maps 3.1.2.
Android v2.2 Froyo
Release Date: May 20, 2010
- Support for file upload in the Browser.
- Support for high-PPI screen (around 320 PPI), for example, four-inch 720p displays.
- Added application rate enhancements, implemented via JIT compilation.
- Improved program launcher with shortcuts to Phone and Browser software.
- The Gallery allows users to look at image stacks with a zoom gesture.
- The choice to disable information access on a cell network.
- Updated Market program with automatic and batch update features.
- Support for Bluetooth-enabled Automobile and desk docks.
- Fast switching between numerous computer keyboard languages and their dictionaries.
- Improved Microsoft Exchange support, such as safety policies, auto-discovery, GAL look-up, calendar synchronization, and remote wipe.
- Improved USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot performance.
Android v2.3 Gingerbread
Release Date: December 6, 2010
- Audio, graphic, and enter keywords enhancements for game programmers.
- Improved support for native code growth.
- Support for additional display sizes and resolutions (WXGA and higher).
- Support for numerous cameras on the apparatus, such as a front-facing camera, even if available. Switched out of YAFFS into ext4 on newer devices.
- User interface layout with speed and simplicity.
- Native service for much more gyroscopes detectors and barometers detectors.
Android v3.0 Honeycomb
Release Date: February 22, 2011
- Support for multi-core processors.
- Quick access button for camera exposure, focus, flash, zoom, front-facing camera, time-lapse, and other camera features.
- Capability to encrypt all of the user information.
- Added the Action Bar navigation, widgets, or other content at the top of the display.
- Multiple browser tabs substituting browser windows, also form auto-fill, along with a new"incognito" mode allowing anonymous browsing.
- New two-pane Mail UI to make viewing and organizing messages more efficient, allowing users to select one or more letters.
- New Easter egg, a picture of a Tron-themed bumblebee.
- Redesigned the computer keyboard, doing typing fast, efficient, and accurate on larger display sizes.
- Simplified multitasking -- tapping Recent Applications in the System Bar allows users to find snapshots of the tasks underway and immediately jump from 1 application to another.
- Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE; kernel module).
- New two-pane Contacts UI and quick Scroll to let users easily organize and locate contacts.
- Additional System Bar features quick access for notifications, status, and soft navigation buttons available at the bottom of the screen.
- Simplified, more automatic copy/paste interface.
- Ability to view albums along with other collections in full-screen mode in Gallery, with simple access to thumbnails for additional photos.
Android v4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Release Date: October 19, 2011.
The update introduced lots of new features:
- Support to your WebP picture format.
- Soft buttons out of Android 3.x are available to be used on mobiles.
- More comfortable to create folders on the home screen, with a drag-and-drop style.
- Improvements in automatic Synchronization of Chrome and Browser.
- Face Unlock, a feature which permits users to unlock handsets using facial recognition program.
- Immediately close applications from the recent programs list using a swipe.
- Integrated screenshot capture with power and volume press key.
- Support for speech-to-text dictation.
- Default photo editor.
- Ability to access software straight from the lock screen.
- Updated gallery layout, named by location and individual.
- Support for the WebP image format.
- Hardware acceleration of the UI.
- Wi-Fi Direct.
- 1080p video recording for Android devices.
Android v4.1Jelly Bean
Release Date: July 9, 2012
Android Jelly Bean is the tenth mobile operating system developed and designed by Google have several features:
- Lock/home screen rotation service.
- Smooth User Interface.
- Controls and widgets may mechanically be re-arranged or even re-sized to permit new things to match on home displays.
- Capability to turn off notifications on an application-specific basis.
- Bi-directional Text, along with other language assistance.
- Pills with smaller screens today use an enlarged version of this interface design and house screen used by mobiles.
- User-installable computer keyboard maps.
- Fast Bluetooth data transfer for Android.
- Group Message support.
- support for USB audio.
- 4K Resolution support with numerous bug fixes and security upadates.
Android v4.4 KitKat
Release Date: September 3, 2013.
- Wi-Fi and cellular data action (TX/RX) signs are transferred into settings.
- Android Runtime introduced as a new experimental program run-time environment, not permitted by default, as a substitute for your own Dalvik virtual machine.
- Refreshed interface using components rather than blue.
- Wireless printing capacity.
- Skill for applications to activate translucency from the navigation and status bars.
- New frame for UI transitions.
- WebViews are now depending on the Chromium motor (feature parity with Chrome for Android 30).
- Compose access disabled for user-installed software om outside storage (i.e., MicroSD), except for their very own directories within Android/data.
- Settings program no longer employs a multi-pane design on devices with bigger displays.
- Sensor batching, measure sensor, and countertops APIs.
- Disables text wrap in the WebView browser part.
- Settings program makes it feasible to choose default text messaging along with the house (launcher) program.
- Audio tunneling, soundtracking, and loudness enhancer.
- Public API for managing and developing Text messaging customers.
- Constructed display recording feature (mostly for programmers, as utilization of ADB is demanded ).
Android v5.0 Lollipop
Release Date : November 12, 2014
Lollipop includes a redesigned user interface built around a reactive layout language known as"fabric layout. " Modifications include improvements to the alarms, which exhibited within programs like banner ads that are top-of-the-screen and may be retrieved in the lock-screen.
Additionally, Google made internal changes to this stage, together with the Android Runtime (ART), formally substituting Dalvik for enhanced application functionality, and modifications meant to enhance and optimize battery utilization, known internally as Project Volta.
- Lock display provides shortcuts to program and notification preferences.
- Pinning of a program's display for limited user action.
- Vector drawable, which climb without sacrificing definition.
- A flashlight-style program is comprised, functioning on supported devices using a camera flash.
- Smart lock attribute.
- Improved access support (e.g., switch accessibility support).
- Audio output and input through USB devices.
- Block-based over-the-air (OTA) upgrades for new apparatus.
- Support for printing previews.
- Client logins and several user accounts are offered on more devices, like phones.
- Tasklist accessibility disabled for third party applications.
- User-customizable priorities for program notifications.
Android v6.0 Marshmallow
Release Date: October 5, 2015
- 4K screen mode and search icons and bar for Application.
- Larger Program folders with numerous pages.
- Immediate Chat characteristic for target-specific sharing between programs.
- App permissions currently allowed separately at run-time, maybe not all-or- Renamed"Priority" way to"Don't Disturb" mode.
- Experimental multi-window attribute.
- Support for activities by third-party applications in the text choice menu.
- App Linking for the quicker instinctive opening of hyperlinks with corresponding MIDI service for musical purposes.
- Post-install/run-time approval requests.
- Demo Mode attribute for screenshot-capture use.
Android v7.0 Nougat
Release Date: July 18, 2016
- Additional an Emergency data component.
- Multi-window service, which affirms floating programs on desktop design.
- Capability to zoom into the screen.
- Capability to show color calibration.
- Restricted file system access.
- Replaced telling cards with telling sheets.
- Picture-in-picture service for Android TV.
- Unicode emoji and skin tone modifier service for easy system upgrades.
- Discontinuation of all Android Camera V1 API.
- Multiple Apparatus Locales.
- New Data Saver mode, which may induce apps to decrease bandwidth use.
- Continuously improve the performance of Android programs as they operate.
- Settings program navigation drawer.
- Capability to change to the past opened program by double-tapping the summary.
Android v8.0 Oreo
Android Oreo is this Android system's 8th release. It was released together for the Pixel and Nexus mobile devices as a developer preview on March 21, 2017. The stable version released in August 2017 including a number of Features:
- Wi-Fi Assistant.
- Picture-in-picture support.
- System-wide Autofill frame.
- Testing in their Pixel apparatus.
- Apps background implementation and location limits.
- Notification enhancements, stations, dots, and snoozing.
- Notification colour multi-colors (for music record artwork, messengers)
- Emojis summarizes and by around ones. Redesigned Quick Settings and Preferences using a white background and, respectively, Accent and black font colours.
- Restructured Preferences by regrouping sections into similar entrances.
- Two times faster boot time it compared to Nougat based on Google, App-specific unidentified sources.
- Project Treble: the most significant change to Android's bases to date: a modular structure that makes it easier and faster for hardware makers to deliver Android updates.
Android v9 Pie
Release Date: August 6, 2018
Feature List :
- The clock has moved into the left of this notification bar.
- A new optional gesture-based system port, enables users to browse the OS using swipes more frequently than conventional UI.
- Redesigned multitask program switcher using all the Google search bar and program drawer built.
- A"screenshot" button added into the power choices.
- An improved version of Do Not Disturb mode by setting the telephone head down, triggered, and this mutes regular notifications.
- Richer messaging alarms, where a complete conversation can be inside a telling, full-size pictures, and smart answers like google's new program, Reply.
- Support for screen cutouts.
- New adjustments for switching between programs, or actions within programs.
- The battery percentage is currently shown in Always-On Screen.
- The new user interface to the fast settings menu.
- Lock display safety changes incorporate the potential yield of a better NFC Unlock.
- Experimental features (that inside a menu named Feature Flags) like a redesigned About Telephone page in preferences, and automatic Bluetooth allowing while driving.
- A brand new"Lock" mode that simplifies bio-metric authentication after triggered.
Release Date: September 3, 2019
Android 10 is the tenth most popular version of the Android OS that adds a number of features in Smartphone and Tablets world:
- Floating settings panel, which allows changing system configurations directly from programs.
- Dynamic depth format for photographs, which enable changing wallpaper blur after shooting a picture.
- Support to your AV1 movie codec, the HDR10+ movie format as well as the Opus sound codec.
- Background programs can't jump in the foreground.
- New permissions also needed to get video photographs and audio files and also to access places.
- Restricted accessibility to non-re-settable apparatus identifiers.
- Support to your WPA3 Wi-Fi security protocol.
- Wallpaper (idle) accessibility to the camera, microphone, and sensors disabled for privacy security and the negative effect of disabling anti-virus applications.
- Project Mainline: allows core OS components through the Google Play Store, without needing a complete system upgrade.
- Sharing shortcuts that enable sharing articles using a touch right.
Android v11 Beta
Release Date: February 19, 2020
Android 11 is the forthcoming eleventh major version that includes enhancements to support foldable smartphones (including support of angle sensors), identification of5G NR networks, Project Mainline, and High-Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF).
Google also stated plans for a "dedicated conversation section in the notification shade," the ability to only grant specific permissions to apps on a case-by-case basis on IOS and to introduce stronger enforcement of the "scoped storage" system. If automatically rebooting after a system update, apps can automatically resume and regain access to credential-encrypted storage without authentication.
Features of latest Android 11 Beta :
- Built-in Bubble Notification System.
- Native screen recording.
- Smart Device Controls and Media Controls makes quick, faster, and easier switching output application devices for their audio and video content.
- Conversation notifications look in a given section near the colour's peak, using a people-forward layout and dialogue certain activities, like opening the dialogue for a bubble, developing a dialogue shortcut to the home screen, or even establishing a reminder.
- Devices will be asked to support seamless updates.
- Consolidated keyboard tips allow Input Methods and programs.
- Android Trash is a feature that enables programs to delete files and restore them.
As per the Android developer new featues and Bug fixes will be update day to day if you want to know more about Android please visit bellow official site: